In Takenoko, the players will cultivate land plots, irrigate them, and grow one of the three species of bamboo (Green, Yellow and Pink) with the help of the Imperial gardener to maintain this bamboo garden. They will have to bear with the immoderate hunger of this sacred animal for the juicy and tender bamboo. The player who manages his land plots best, growing the most bamboo while feeding the delicate appetite of the panda, will win the game.
Designer: Antoine Bauza
Game Time: 45 Minutes to 1 Hour
Set-up Time: 5 Minutes
Mechanic: Action Selection
How to win: Score the most points
1) Place the pond tile at the center and put the Panda and Gardener on it.
2) Shuffle all the game cards into separate piles
3) Each player must have a player board and 3 objective cards (1 card from each category)
4) When all players have done their first set of actions, the weather die is then added into the game where each player can roll it during their turn.
1) Each player gets to roll the weather die before performing actions. It has 6 sides with 5 different possible effects.
a) Sun – You have an extra action (it must be different from those that you have taken this turn)
b) Rain – You can place a bamboo piece in any one irrigated plot
c) Wind – You may perform an action twice
d) Storm – You can move the panda on any plot to eat a section of bamboo
e) Clouds – You can take any one improvement chip which you can place on any plot or reserve it for later
f) ? – You will choose any one of the 5 weather options
2) The player performs chooses 2 different actions. Actions can be:
a) Move farmer to plant bamboos
b) Move panda to eat bamboos
c) Draw 3 plot tiles
d) Get 1 irrigation
e) Get a new objective card (a player must have a maximum of 5)
1) Reserve a set of bamboo sections (pink, green, and yellow) just in case you get that objective card which will give you 6 points
2) Get farming or eating objective card if there are plenty of bamboos planted
3) Reserve irrigation for later use if your plot pattern is not yet complete (to avoid accidentally helping other players irrigate their plots)
4) Complete all your objectives to get the Emperor card which gives you an additional 2 points at the end of the game
5) Study how your opponents play so you can either use it to your advantage or sabotage them
What I like about it:
1) It is beautifully designed game components for the plot tiles, mission cards, irrigation tiles, bamboo sections, and character figures.
2) It has simple gameplay yet quite challenging to win especially if your opponent keeps on blocking you to complete your missions.
3) It can be played not only by adults. It’s a good addition to your parent-kid bonding.
What I don’t like about it:
1) There are only 2 actions that can be performed on every turn.
2) You get only 1 irrigation tile. You need quite a lot if you have a complicated plot mission.
3) Emperor card will only give you additional 2 points if you’re the first to complete all your missions (depends on the ‘number of missions to be completed’ set at the start of the game).
For more information, go ask GOOGLE! Go try this one and have fun!
Note: The images included in this post are all my photographs. If you want to use them please give credit to me. Thanks!
“Give credit to whom credit is due.”